The Treaty Advancement Commission is releasing a proposed Representative Body model for people to consider, ahead of next week's Elders Forum and Statewide Gathering.
The Representative Body will be the key voice for Aboriginal people in the next phase of the Treaty process.
Our proposal includes:
- 17 elected seats, and 11 seats reserved for formally recognised Traditional Owner groups
- A dedicated voice for Elders to share their knowledge, and ensure cultural integrity
- Six voting regions to ensure each part of Victoria is represented
- Only Traditional Owners may be on the Body
- All Aboriginal people aged 16 and over living in Victoria being eligible to vote (in the region where they live)
- Voting in person, via post and online
- A gender quota to ensure a minimum level of female or non-male identifying representatives.
The details will be presented at the Statewide Gathering, along with an opportunity for people to get more information.
The Commission will seek feedback on the proposed model after the Statewide Gathering.
Attendance is free - to attend, please register online in advance.